Are you passionate about acoustics and vibration? Our company claim „Future. Created in Hamburg.“ arouses your curiosity and you want to help shape the future of aviation? Then you’ve come to the right place.
The ZAL Center for Applied Aeronautical Research in Hamburg is one of the world’s most modern research facilities for aviation. On a total area of more than 26,000 m², the research center offers 600 employees from over thirty industrial and scientific organizations the most advanced infrastructures for joint research and development. The mission of ZAL GmbH is to provide optimal conditions for applied aeronautical research. In addition to operating the ZAL TechCenter, this also includes a team of 35 technical experts who support partners in industrial projects and advance their own funding projects.
Last two decades have seen a significant development in the field of engineered materials also known as metamaterial. Metamaterial technology has found applications in areas of acoustics, physics, material science, seismology, thermodynamics and many more. The significant growth of additive manufacturing has further boosted the design, development and testing of metamaterial concepts. The aim of this master thesis is on elastic and acoustic metamaterial with focus on cellular structures with triply periodic minimal surfaces (TPMS). These cellular structures with TPMS are naturally inspired continuous non-self-intersecting surfaces which are similar to bone microstructure with tailorable mechanical properties. As part of our ongoing research in areas of acoustics and vibration, we are investigating the potential of TPMS structure for aerospace applications. The focus of this MS thesis will be on studying metamaterials and TPMS structures with potential application to air and space vehicles.
- Analytical as well as numerical studies to understand the structural dynamics and vibroacoustics of sandwich structures
- Development of finite element models for vibroacoustic studies using NASTRAN and ACTRAN
- Vibroacoustic measurements for the validation of analytical and numerical results
- Application and testing of developed metamaterial concept at component and demonstrator level
- Preparation of results for presentations, reports and conference/journal articles
Sounds interesting? Then we would be happy if you bring the following with you:
- Enrolment in a scientific or engineering course of study
- In-depth knowledge of structural mechanics and FEM is required
- Knowledge of vibroacoustic numerical as well as measurement approaches is desirable
- Personal interest for familiarization with new topics and technologies in the field of acoustics, structural dynamics and applied physics
We are pleased to offer you the following benefits:
- Practice-oriented master thesis in an innovative company with an excellent network
- A very cooperative team with friendly, helpful and competent colleagues as well as flat hierarchies and a very good working atmosphere
- Attractive compensation and additional employer benefits (900-1000€/month)
- A modern working environment, ergonomic workplaces and technology labs with exciting research infrastructures
- Flexibility through flextime and mobile working
You can identify with our requirements and would like to write your master’s thesis with us? Great! Then apply right now, stating your earliest possible starting date: .
Further inquiries related to planned research activities for thesis work can be addressed to Dr. Pankaj Joshi ().
Britta Wiechert| Human Resources
ZAL Zentrum für Angewandte Luftfahrtforschung GmbH | Hein-Saß-Weg 22 | D-21129 Hamburg
+ 49 40 248 595 125|| www.zal.aero